Pages

Friday, July 31, 2026

Why not UPI-Lite for BMTC tickets?

I have been watching commuters scrambling for UPI payments especially when BMTC buses are fully loaded. Some struggle to enter right PIN amidst the jostling crowd. Some enter additional digits while negotiating the instant brakers. Under such conditions, UPI-Lite seems to be perfect option. Perhaps many commuters aren't aware since till date I see people paying directly via bank account through PIN. UPI-Lite can be advantageous when bus is packed with crowd. No PIN for sub Rs.500/- payment and no issue of Bank outages. Also new ticket machine from BMTC gracefully presents the QR with fixed price. Hence no need to enter the amount manually. Your UPI app notes the exact amount and prompts you to pay. If UPI-Lite option is chosen, its one click. Since this method is akin to wallet, there is no bank intervention needed. Also since maximum cap is 500 per transaction, users can safely use this option in urgent scenarios. This saves time of conductors who struggle to issue tickets during peak hours and also relieves you from entering PINs which when entered wrongly can lock your UPI after certain attempts. It also speeds up ticketing process which otherwise conductor will be forced to pause the bus before moving to next stop.



So try out UPI-Lite today! I generally, top-up max 200 per week to cater my BMTC tickets. I also travel under large crowd and this method has been largely convenient so far!

As of now, BMTC is the only vendor I am using UPI-Lite for. I haven't explored much but for sure its useful for quick transaction with street vendors.

Ultimately cash is BOSS!

This is from my experience so far. I had few instances to back this

(i) The QR doesn't show up in ticket vending machine occasionally despite multiple retries. Conductor explicitly asked for cash

(ii) The data network doesn't turn ON at times which is mandatory for UPI payments

These instances definitely need cash or you will be forced to deboard the bus. 

Fortunately, I always carry cash. I am not overconfident relying entirely on digital tools 😀

Disclaimer

1) I am neither influencer not a developer of payment apps. I dont know if UPI-Lite balances can be used for gaining interest by app providers. Hence there are no payments done to write this blog 😂

(2) I am not spying on their PIN or account balance :-D. 

No comments:

Post a Comment