Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Post lock-down birding at Amruthahalli Lake

23 June 2021

The 2nd wave of pandemic is slowly receding. The savage it created was disastrous. People are yet to come out of the horror the tiny micro-organism created from past 120 days. Now situation is slowly improving but for sure aggravate if people turn negligent. Let us not be irresponsible and pave way for further increase of disease. As of now the only universal solution is to get vaccinated ASAP. With India declaring free vaccines to all, let us make use of this opportunity to free the country from pandemic.

Meanwhile, the authorities have relaxed few restrictions as pandemic subsided. As part of relaxation, authorities have opened gates of lake from 5AM to 10AM. We can't visit during evening time for now. 

It has been a week since the lake gates have opened. Today I decided to have visit to lake and do some birding. It has been long time since I did birding and relaxed amidst the nature. Deviating from usual exercise routine, I steered towards the lake to get a glimpse of birds. Even though I could not spot any new ones, I was glad to meet the old birds and say hello to avian critters.

As I started my stroll, the first bird which I saw was black-drongo which are plenty in numbers nearby our area. They are tiny but aggressive. I have seen them plenty of times chasing mighty birds

What? Did I hear any sound from behind!



On top of it was the Spotted dove. It was repeatedly calling groo... grooo. The bird was also surprised by shutter sound of camera.


That click sound sounds familiar!


Let us enter lake. Looks like birds are not happy with lockdown relaxation. They seemed to be happily foraging on the periphery of lake from my distant view of apartment. Now they lack freedom due to human presence :-). As I entered lake, the coots & swamp-hens welcomed me by shying away. The lake is now lush with vegetation and the rains have exuded greenery throughout. The primary action of birds happens in thicket due west. Lets see whom we got here.

The rose ringed parakeet was basking in rare morning sun. The monsoon clouds are covering the Sun for most part of the day. Seemed to be too cold to sustain




One of them shared space with black-drongo


The yellow billed babblers too were jumping to find some food. I could not again get a decent glimpse thanks to their agility. Soon they flew to hideout after spotting humans.




The bold pied-bushchat was seen perched on the cable passing through thicket

Hey buddy! Seen you somewhere!

The mynas were engrossed in early morning group chat to define next set of action plans. Perhaps showing concern for increasing human activity :-). With unfolding of unlock process, they may be tensed about the ensuing reduction of their dominance.



The ashy-prinia is in ever singing mode. I captured them quite crisply this time. Its steady singing allowed me to grab some sharp pictures



Hey buddy! Glad to see you again!


Green bee-eaters joined the basking meet after some time.



Meanwhile someone was closely watching my activity. This enigmatic observer turned violent as I walked towards his line of sight. It was uncontrollably barking as I crossed his boundary. May be he was in hunting mode and wanted peace to carry his activity (or he thinks me as hunter?). I did not heed much to his chaos and moved on. The barking sound though continued till I walked far away.


Back to aquatic birds, the glossy ibis was having its share of morning food.



The coots were enjoying the swim in isolated swamps

This cormorant was drying its wing after busy swimming + breakfast session or was it getting ready for subsequent session?



Finally, the white throated kingfisher seem to be settled at peak of tree. Looks like it needed uninterrupted sunshine to dry its body without disturbance from humans.



The spotted dove was also spotted in same branch


Here is a short anthem from ashy prinia to conclude the birding ceremony :-)



Check out my Bird Series blogs here : NKBirdSeries

3 comments:

  1. You are a very patient and skilled bird photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are out birding again, and that things are loosening up!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...