Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Alexandrine Parakeet at Jakkur Lake

Jakkur lake is wonderful place for bird watchers. It has vivid avian beauty as of now. I am stressing "as of now" since urbanization is slowly creeping up. The Jakkur was a village erstwhile and hence avian creatures were thriving. Now the plantations and fields are being sold to real estate tycoons to build expensive apartments. The latest addition to this clearing of farmland nearby and barraging concrete trucks into the cleared area.

One of bird enthusiasts wrote about the Alexandrine parakeet nesting in the peepal tree of Jakkur lake. Today I went in search of them but could not locate the peepal tree along the lake boundary. The intuition steered me to the east exit gate situated half way towards the children play area. The tree which bisects the walking track is the prime identifier!

This is the direction towards one of the tiny exit gate


Follow this path


Out of the lake boundary and towards peepal tree!


And I could locate a fenced land where peepal tree stood up! I walked near to the tree and started exploring. Peepal regarded as holy tree in Hinduism and we can see tiny shrine beneath the tree! Lot of shrubs located around and hence beware of serpents as well. Do not be engrossed in birdwatching always!

Plenty of parakeets and mynas were engaged in territorial fights guarding their area. I heard a different screeching sound which was louder and longer than rose ringed parakeets. After patiently moving eyes in all directions, beating the camouflage of parrot leaves, finally I spotted the alexandrine parakeets.








That was the soul satisfying moment for me. I was elated to see the courtship of one of the pair. They were constantly staring at me as if intruded their private moment.






This female alexandrine parakeet posed for a while. The soft sunlight helped me to grab clear pictures.




The alexandrine parakeets are named after King Alexander. The history is well documented over internet and I don't want to scribble redundant information here! I am narrating the bird as I saw and heard :-).

The alexandrine parakeets have loud and long sound. They are easily distinguishable from rose ringed parakeets by plumage and sounds. The sounds are hard. The plumage has red patches and beaks are larger. The males have dark black band which female does not have. My apparent feel is that the alexandrine parakeets are not much bold like rose ringed counterparts. They were either high above tree or hidden inside foliage. The green leaves made it much harder to spot them. I spent nearly an hour expecting at least some would descend to comfortable level. But none did. Due to time constraints, I left the spot but with happy face!





The Rose ringed parakeets outnumber the alexandrine parakeets. They are easy picks throughout Bangalore. Couple of their pictures!



This is the tree array where alexandrine parakeets nest. Not sure if this area belongs to government or private owners. Until these trees survive, the parakeets would live here. I am afraid that real estate would eye this plot also. Only hope is the fencing all around which I presume constructed by conservation authorities. Hope the area sustains its vegetation and does not succumb to real estate mafia. Shrine of deity is primary hope that authorities won't interfere in religious matters.



Couple of lake shots before concluding the post! It was hot day but haze free. Hence clear shots were possible.




Check out my Bird Series blogs here : NKBirdSeries

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...