Thursday, October 13, 2022

Birding after long gap

Its has been long time since I went for exclusive birding walk. Primarily due to limited scope in Bangalore and rains in native. The Navaratri visit to native turned out to be productive in terms of birding during last day of stay. Before that I had captured few pictures but were limited. I had surprise visitors to flaunt during my concluding day at native. Lets begin the avian series

Someone got overly soaked in overnight rains. The fearless Asian Koel was in extended basking mode today.


The Malabar pied hornbills are not unheard of in our village. We hear them daily and at couple of times, I had watched them closely, unfortunately without camera. I managed to get dark images during sunset for my record. Here are they!



Flame throated bulbuls were singing at eye level which I term as utmost bad luck. Again no camera, here is rough video from mobile.

The racket tailed drongos are common site in village. Yet another mobile camera capture due to missed camera.

The golden fronted leafbird is yet another shy bird. I was fortunate to get the glimpses on bright day.




The vernal hanging parrots are omnipresent in Udupi district right from busy highways to busy human presence. I found them chirping even in Udupi town, busy kumbhasi highway, beaches of Hejamady and forests of Neelavara. My village has them plenty in number but hard to capture. Even the Hosaadu village has abundant presence of these cute little parrots foraging on coconut trees. Here is one from Hosaadu village! Only picture from my stay unfortunately.


During my concluding day, the vernal hanging parrot was right above our house but by the time I brought camera, the bird had flown away.

Freedom as real, and as clean as blue sky! It is common sight here in Hosaadu to watch the flock of egrets flying over open paddy fields synchronously. Similar scenes can also be related to flock of cormorants. I managed to get single picture during my morning hunt for birds! Looks like they were flying to backwaters to start the morning routine.

A day before concluding day, I captured the Jacobin cuckoo. This is my first spotting in village. I managed to get few shots before bird flew away. They are known as harbinger of rains but despite being hot, it did not rain. Nevertheless, I was happy with their maiden spotting





The next one patiently basking stork billed kingfisher. I never knew that these birds are this bold. They allowed me to capture closely without any hesitation. Here are the clear pictures for you.







The shy rufous woodpecker was gracious enough to pose for a while in open from a distance. The bird is daily visitor to our coconut plantation but hidden inside the tree top. I was surprised with its long stay in open, perhaps it did not notice me. Its difficult to get a slew of pictures like below. I have uploaded all to express my gratitude to the bird











This egret was curiously seated behind the foliage on tree branch. Quite unusual to see egrets perching on trees. A cattle was grazing near to it. Perhaps the bird spotted me and wanted safer location than being near to cow.


I staggered through the trails of paddy field to see if any interesting birds show up. That was worth the effort. I heard the busy voice of Baya weavers engrossed in nest building to impress their future partners at nearby Palmyra tree. You can easily spot the hanging nests from the tree. One of them was away from the tree and perched on electric line. The bird was busy preening which allowed me to capture few!





The Brahminy Kite was looking for opportunity amidst the territorial fight of Baya weavers and mynas. The plan was distracted by ambushing racket tailed drongos chasing raptors away from their territoy




Last but not least, how do I forget the fearless jungle babblers! Picture taken just before I started the drive to Bangalore. Everyday the flock visit our house to check for snacks. This bird seemed to be in pondering mode 


Offbeat, this cat was cleaning its body and exposing to sunlight. Perhaps that is his way to keep healthy. His apathetic look to my photographic session was worth the capture :-). He was like "Under the hot sun and humid weather, this photographer has no other job!"




Amidst the sweltering weather, greenery to brighten up the day!



Check out my Bird Series blogs here : NKBirdSeries

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...