Monday, August 26, 2013

Single lens challenge (Landscape with 50mm lens)

09 August 2013

Recently in one of the photography blogs, there was a mention to voluntarily challenge ourselves with single lens in hand. This is basically to understand the significance of each lens you own. This was really different sort of trial. During my visit to hometown, I decided to take up such task. I chose 50mm lens for landscape :-). Generally landscapes are shot in less focal length (18mm or below). I wanted to try some landscapes with 50mm lens and also 50mm was relatively less utilized lens in my kitty. Hence I decided to work out with 50mm lens.

After mounting the lens, I headed towards the paddy fields. Even this time there was not much rain also bright SUN showed up many times. This turned out to be boon for me due to which I could visit Hanumangundi waterfalls. In contrary to that, it was raining heavily in Western ghats :-). However due to sunny weather at hometown, I could convince mother to visit waterfalls :D.

Coming back, I started off with few flowers. The backlit SUN exposed nice colors of flowers. Later I shot some pictures of streams too!



BUNCH OF FLOWERS
SOME FLOWER

THE WALK PATH
HIBISCUS
Next is paddy fields. Now after seeing that peacock, I felt like having tele-lens :-) but I remembered my intention before lamenting further. Good thing was, the peacock did not fly even at this distance. Usually they fly away by looking at humans from distance itself. May be this peacock knew that I did not have tele lens and stood calm :-).  These are the walk paths we used to travel along during childhood days while going to school. I still remember those days when heavy rains would unify both wells and paddy fields. It was difficult to wade through this path during those days and differentiate between well and paddy field. But still we used to manage very well and never crib ;-)


PEACOCK AT A DISTANCE

THE MONSOON STREAM

PADDY SAPLINGS

ARRAY OF GRASS

MONOLITH CLOUD
This one is one major streams in our village. There was good amount of water flowing. It originates from one of hillocks nearby. The picture was taken standing on rock surface. The surface was too much slippery too! The main problem with nifty-fifty lens is that there is no image stabilization. I forgot to carry tripod too :(. There was good possibility of milky way shot if I had carried tripod with me.


STREAM GUSH

SOME ABSTRACT LANDSCAPE ;-)

THE STREAM PATH
The conclusion is that, 50mm lens is generally good for abstract landscapes and vegetations. However, the full landscapes can be only felt using lower focal length lenses. Whatever may be the conclusion, I was happy with some of the results except that I did not have zoom lens to capture peacock!


Long back I had misconception that 50mm lens mimics eye's focal length. That's not true for crop sensor cameras like mine. It applies only to full frame cameras. Whereas these lenses produce an effective focal length of 80mm in crop sensor cameras like mine. So you basically need 35mm lens to mimic eye and not 50mm if you are owning crop sensor DSLR :(

Feedbacks and critiques are always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...