Saturday, October 27, 2018

Misleading Google Navigation

Turn right and turn left into NH-66 ( I don't recall if the navigation uttered slight right, slight left). This was the bizarre instruction provided by Google navigation system after descending Suratkal fly over towards Mangalore. My wife was sure that some more drive was needed straight for 600m as per the map. We spotted our destination comfortably but I was still inquisitive about misleading navigation. After a while I realized that this information was due to the presence of barricade right after fly over. We had to move right and then left to cross barricade.

The barricade was something like below but without second level. Probably, for the below case, the navigation would have sounded "turn right, turn left and turn right onto NH-66". Since this is known location, navigation is not required. I will experiment during next visit though!

A barricade at Udyavara near Udupi. Suratkal also had similar setup

This was confusing message since there was right turn after fly over. I thought we had to take right and then move left into wrong side of the highway. At once, I assumed that Google tweaked it's navigation to match Indian traffic mentality. Its irony that we have to pay toll to such barricaded roads . Anyways, that is secondary but the audio needs to change. May be something like

"Barricade ahead, cross the barricade and continue/stay along NH-66"

Generally barricade implies junction. Hence turning right is confusing. And then left also is NH-66 which is the other lane. For a moment, I was perplexed if Google is suggesting me to take wrong side. I even slowed down my vehicle past barricade :-)

Perhaps, Google needs to rectify this algorithm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...